Wednesday 24 February 2010

The Odeon and the Alice

Hey guy’s,

Just a quick one as I’ve just got back from a long day at work and I have an to be at work at 8 tomorrow for a 13 hour day *cries*

Anyway so there’s been allot of talk about this going round at work so I thought I’d bring it up with you guys. The topic being the boycott of the new Alice in Wonderland by Odeon and other major cinema chains.

For those of you that are not aware, many British Cinema’s, namely the Odeon chain, are not playing the new Alice in Wonderland film because Disney have shortened the DVD release time from the usual 17 to 3 months. Odeon basically are opposed to this as they think it will cut into their cinema sales as people could just wait for the DVD release and they can’t play it at the cinema for as long. They also fear that other companies will follow suit, leading to the downfall of British Cinema going in favour of waiting for DVD releases.

The conversations I’ve had seem to be split into two camps, people who believe that its Disney film and they can basically do what the hell they want with it, plus those who want to see it will go elsewhere. (For instance where I live in Lincoln only has one cinema, and that’s an Odeon, which means I will have to travel to Sheffield to go and see it and I won’t be able to see it on the release date as I’m working till late). Others seem to think that it’s just a case of Disney being unnecessarily greedy. I’m not sure, what do you guy’s reckon?

The only other thing that’s irritating me about this film is the total overkill of merchandise before the film coming out. In particular the range at Claire’s accessories, all of which is focused on Jonny Depp, not an Alice in site!

However I am still totally looking forward to this film! I just hope it lives up to the hype!

No comments:

Post a Comment